Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Healing

The other day I received a holiday card.  A thoughtful, beautiful card.  And it still makes me cry.  My friend wrote "How you've endured this year with your spirit intact is amazing".  It reaches deep into my heart & soul that others see me this way.  It's been six months of doing whatever I could to just survive the pain.  To not drink, to continue to get out of bed, to do whatever was necessary to remain in this world; physically, emotionally, spiritually.  I didn't try to be "strong", I didn't try to be "tough", I didn't try to keep it together, I didn't try to hide from the pain or hide the pain.  I just did whatever I could to keep moving through the loss, through the fear, through the pain.  I grasped onto every hand that was generously extended, the lifelines that allowed me to go into the depths and find my way back out.  I allowed myself to accept every drop of loving assistance that was offered.  And I talked.  And wrote.  And talked.  To anyone that would listen.  I let the grief keep moving through me; talking to process, talking to release.  I didn't care how I looked or what other people thought.  I was stripped to the core and just did whatever I had to do to survive.

Sometimes I worry about being selfish, about all of the taking I've had to do.  Luckily a friend said to me early on "You've given so much to so many for so long.  Please let us give to you".  I didn't have the energy to fight the love.  And I've discovered that I don't have a clue what is selfish and what is not.      At some level I've long known that giving makes me feel good and that by receiving, I allow others to have that same good feeling.   Through this process called grief,  I've had to take everything given.  But what's boggled my logical mind is how many people have thanked me for my writing, for my talking.  It's baffling how allowing myself to open up, share my pain, my grief has so many people thanking me.  I don't understand how by doing what feels selfish it is also a gift to others.  And I don't have to understand.  I just have to trust.  Trust that being me is all I need to do.

I'm still moving through the grief.  Every day it's at another level, another place.  So many things make me weep.  But the deep, gut wrenching, my heart & soul are being torn out of me, sobbing on the floor has subsided.  So I let the tears stream when they need to, knowing that I'm letting the pain clear.  And sometimes the tears are of joy & gratitude from someplace deeper inside myself than I've been before.

So I sit here this morning with a full heart.  I've learned I can not only survive, but triumph over whatever life throws at me.  That the heartbreaking pain has both helped me find my inner strength and opened my heart more fully.  Although I'm still saddened by the events that have brought me to this place, I'm grateful to be right here, right now.


2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you and I have taken different routes on this road of grief. Trying to be "strong" and "tough" is all I've been trying to do. I have my 2 kids still living with me and 2 jobs so I just keep on getting up in the morning and make myself keep moving. Just another hour and it's lunch and I can read. Just another hour and I go home. Home to what - I'm not really sure but by then I'll have to go to my other job or clean the kitchen or go to physical therapy...whatever it is I do. My sorrow lies simmering for a few days until it either seeps or explodes. Most the time I don't care what other people think, but I've also had to reign myself in real swiftly when I've been in front of parents (I work in a school office), or about to give a massage (I'm a massage therapist). Every day is at a different level, another place...only people who have been through this could understand that.

    Today I have a roommate moving into my house with us. We're all very somber about having this stranger sharing our lives with and seeing all the struggles we're all going through. But I wouldn't have been able to do this 3 or 4 months ago. Somehow I've dredged up enough strength to be able to follow through with this. Then again, I wonder how I could have possibly had the strength to go through with the Memorial service 5 months ago. Shit, I wish Tony were here with me today when she moves into the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs to you Joanne. When I had my store, I did have to put myself into a different head space - so I know what you mean. Thank god it was my store - many times I had to close the doors for 15 minutes and have a sobfest... What was most difficult for me was that since I sold Jim's jewelry, I had to talk about him all day long.... I hope all goes okay with the roommate.... call me if you want/need. Love you xoxoxoxoxoxo

      Delete