Friday, July 6, 2012

I Can't Stop Crying

A couple of weeks after my husband died, an acquaintance emailed me condolences and then said "I hope everyday gets better.  I know first hand that it actually does. "  I'm glad that was her experience, but it is most definitely NOT MINE.  At that stage, the numbness & shock were wearing off and I felt worse, much worse.  It's all a rollercoaster.  Some days I'm functional, sometimes I'm actually productive, but some days I'm plunged into grief and sorrow so strong I can barely walk.  Today is one of those days.  I managed to get up, do my morning writing, take the car in for repair and go to work.  All this while crying.  In grief I've developed a new cry - the steady moan cry.  Previously I've had the silent, streaming tears and the deep hiccupy sobs.  This one is new.  And it just keeps going.  I want to stuff it down, stuff it back in, but it insists on coming out.  


I finally stopped crying enough to open my store & be personable with customers and then someone, a man, tried to tell me something I "should" do about my signage.  I crumbled.  After he left, I locked the door and fell to the floor and just wailed.  I often wish we were back in the Victorian Age with their Mourning Etiquette.    Mourning clothes as a display of inner feelings.  Plus it alerted those around to your mental and emotional state.  And while I used to think that a year or two of required mourning for the widow was excessive, today I'd love to have the luxury of that time and the patience of those around for the grieving/mourning process.  I'm raw.  I'm fragile.  I'm also strong, strong enough to make it through.  Sometimes I'm so exhausted, I don't want to go on.  What keeps me going is not wanting to inflict the pain I'm in on the ones I love.   I don't want anyone who loves me to suffer the pain of losing me one minute before it's my time to go.   So today I cry.  I cry until I wonder how many tears I have in me.  Everything hurts.  Everything aches.  I cry some more.  






No comments:

Post a Comment